Friday, October 2, 2009

Letters from the future students

Dear friend

I have just finished my grade 12 and I am going to start studying in the university next year. My favourite class during my high school years was the Calculus class. I particularly liked this class because I had a great teacher who has been teaching the course for 10 years. Her name is Ms. Kim and she is just an expert in mathematics. She was a very energetic and compassionate teacher who always tried to make the class more interesting for the students. I had always thought that the math is a boring subject. But, after taking her course, I realized how I fun mathematics can be! She was always open for questions and helped us after classes if we didn't understand some concepts. I really recommend that you take her class!

Dear Ms. Kim

I'm sending this e-mail because I want to let you know that I have not enjoyed my time in your class. In all my previous math classes, the teachers presented imporartant concepts and gave me some time to apply what we learned by working on the problems. Howevaer, what you taught us was all problem solving skill, which I don't think is useful at all. I need to learn the rules and concepts so that I can do well on my exams. Working on the problem solving questions just confused me and I didn't learn anything from your class.

Writing these two letters gave me a chance to think about what kind of teacher I want to be. I want to become an enthusiastic teacher who cares about each and every student in my classes. I want to create a fun and engaging learning environment for all. At the same time, I am afraid that there will be students who do not like my teaching style and do not gain much knowledge from my lessons. I hope that I can keep all of these in my mind even after 10 years of teaching. I will always try to remind myself of my goals as a teacher and become conscious of my concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment